Following the outbreak of coronavirus and the three identified cases in the city of Marbella, and in accordance to the instructions provided by the competent health authorities, we hereby provide the following update:
- No students or staff of MIUC has so far been either suspected, exhibiting the symptoms or diagnosed with the coronavirus.
- At present, there are three cases of coronavirus diagnosed in Marbella, all in relation to an internal company convention that took place in the end of January. These three people are at home, with mild symptoms. All other employees who attended the event have been tested negative for the coronavirus.
- So far, no new cases of coronavirus in Marbella have been reported.
Preventive measures being taken by the school
It has been brought to our attention that a few of our students have been recently travelling to the countries that are now listed as the countries with the high risk of infection by the Ministry of Health has issued an information. Those are:
- Italy (regions of Lombardy, Veneto, Emilia-Romagna, Piedmont).
- China (all provinces, including Hong Kong and Macao); the risk is higher in the
- Hubei province, where there has been sustained community transmission of greater
- South Korea.
Although none of the students have reported any health issues or symptoms yet, we have decided to close the school for students on Monday and Tuesday, to give ourselves enough time to contact every individual student, assess the potential risk, if any, and implement appropriate measures.
All the staff will continue to operate normally and classes will take place online therefore no student is excused from their ongoing assignments.
Please note that the measure is only preventive, there is aboslutely no reason to panic, we are just taking precautions to ensure that we have full understanding of potential risks, if any, and we are prepared to respond appropriately.
Please read your emails and WhatsApp messages regularly for all new updates.
Prevent the spread of infection:
Make sure you follow these general principles to prevent spreading any respiratory virus:
- Wash your hands often – with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, or an alcohol-based sanitiser if soap and water aren’t available
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- If you feel unwell, stay at home
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in a bin
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces in the home
If you’re worried about your symptoms, please call your Health Centre, 112 or 955 54 50 60 – don’t go directly to your Health Centre or other healthcare environment.
Symptoms to look out for
If you’ve returned from any of the category 1 or 2 areas or countries, look out for the following symptoms:
- Difficulty in breathing
- Fever (a temperature of 38 degrees C or higher).
category 1 country or area
Wuhan city and Hubei province, China; Iran; Daegu or Cheongdo, South Korea; any Italian town under containment measures.
category 2 country or area
Cambodia; China (other than Wuhan city or Hubei province); Hong Kong; Italy: north* (see the map here); Japan; Laos; Macau; Malaysia; Myanmar; Singapore; South Korea (other than Daegu or Cheongdo); Taiwan; Thailand; Vietnam.
Following official advice from Junta de Andalucia:
If you are well:
- You don’t need to avoid contact with other people
- Your other family members don’t need to take any precautions or make any changes to their own activities.
If you become unwell and develop symptoms such as coughing, difficulty breathing and fever over 38C:
- Stay indoors and avoid contact with other people as you would with other flu viruses
Contact your Health Centre, call 112 or 955 54 50 60 for advice.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON CORONAVIRUS FROM MIUC SIDE, PLEASE EMAIL: M.STEFANOVIC@MIUC.ORG